Tuesday, May 1, 2012

New Job, New Do

I should just start a hair blog. Of what NOT to do. Becuase it's amazing how many times past mistakes are removed from memory at the sheer excitement that comes with covering up dark roots to fake a natural blonde again.
This time, after an experimentation series of unsuccessful temporary root touch-ups which can be washed out (aka zero perma-damage), I knew I had to take desperate measures to hide the brunette tell-alls. After all, I was going to be on TELEVISION the following day. Blondes pop, brunettes bomb (for bigoted, dye-hard Jessica). And so blonde box-dye "it comes with a magical root-tool!" it was. Friendly and easy to use. Fab.
It wasn't.
So when my roommate, Caitlin, saw me rubbing blonde hair dye all over my scalp with my bare hands and the friendly tool in the trash can, we both knew I was in for a multi-colored orange-yellow TREAAAT!

For Alison Brod, miss thang intern had been preparing to be a dress model for a style segment on New York Live. I even stopped binge eating past midnight for an entire week AND bought a tanning package (helloooo graduation--either kill two birds with one stone, or massacre two photo-ops with skin brighter than the flash--tough call.) So when I washed out the scalp scorching dye and was left with a vibrant sunset, I began making the frantic calls to hairstylists who didn't find their calling in a box.
Rationalizing that an in-person plea of my failure would be more successful, I found a salon that found my situation pathetic enough to squeeze in before they closed, I'd just have to kill 2 hours beforehand. Easy enough. I was walking in the rain and passed by a homeless couple looking very wet. Suddenly, the sermon from the church I visited that morning struck me in the form of a large raindrop and I double-backed.
The sermon at Trinity Grace church on the Upper East Side was about food. Basically I found, that if you're reading the Bible and you find yourself NOT hungry, you're not reading it right. Jesus built relationships over the dinner table. He set an example eating with sinners and taxpayers. He fed thousands with a few fish and meager loaves of bread. Jesus is a foodie. HALLELUJAH!
"Hey I haven't had dinner yet and this rain sucks, will you grab a bite to eat with me?"
And that's how I met Jimmy and his pink suitcase-toting wife. We had McDonald's and besides my post-dinner self-hatred of eating lard it was rather enjoyable. They had been living on the street for about a year and a half after Jimmy lost his construction job. While they did have kids in college, they did not feel it was their duty as parents to inform them of their homeless state. Shout out to Mom and Dad-you always have a couch with me... or if it was now, a bunk bed, which has proved pretty insufficient in its comfort value this spring. I told Jimmy and his wife that if they're looking for a yummy morning bagel and coffee the church down the street has them for free. And they have sermons about food, which is awesome.

And they have pastors that are Australian which brings me to the following conclusion of holding off on my visionary escapade to live in Australia for the time being. Because.
I HAVE A JOB!! Woooo
I will be an account coordinator with Parasol Marketing, a luxury public relations and marketing agency that has clients such as Hotel Arts Barcelona, Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, Phulay Bay Ritz Carlton and others. Luxury travel is Parasol's focus, however they also have other clients such as FIG restaurant and very new client Suzy Sirlion.

Everything happened so fast. Jennifer, a friend of my aunt's, introduced me to Parasol's Lorianne earlier that week. I had the job interview shortly after, came back later to meet the boss that day of the interview, emailed references and an assigned project to the office later that day and recieved an official document and email offer later that night. WOAH whirlwind.
I accepted over the weekend, and went into the office the f ollowing Monday to train with Eva, the gal whose position I will be taking over. I set up various accounts and email subscriptions I'll need and ordered an identification card to enter the building. I went through daily tasks and had too much coffee already (there's a coffee maker down the hall-my impulsive excessiveness stems from excitement). I met with Andrea, Lorianne, and Eva for a lunch meeting and discussed clients and the agenda for the week. It was info-overload, but Eva graciously set up a transition document for me to make my first few weeks a lot easier.
I'm going back to the office after finals this week to attend a Sunset Social at a spa on Friday. Becuase Parasol is hosting an event at this spa later in the summer, we are going to check out the location and I will be able to meet some of our clients. Apparently the gig involves complimentary spa treatment--YES.
I start the real-life grown-up New York City job May 21. I am excited, luxury travel was what I had begun to focus on. By that I also mean I had applied to be a waitress on a cruise ship and had been selected as a candidate earlier in the week before the interview with Parasol. Fact. But in all seriousness travel PR sounds like a great fit for me. The gal I interviewed with had even just gotten back from visiting a client in Thailand. Um, awesome. I'm hoping I have some covered travel expenses coming up fingers cross? Parasol is a small company, however, that leaves room for much hands-on experience and makes my opinion within the company matter.

Speaking of finals- how did people ever get through that terribly long week without Facebook? I have one final left tomorrow, and then I just have to focus on finding an apartment within a very short time. Oh and moving out of this one. And catching a plane to Texas. And graduating. And moving stuff from Colorado. And..... The speedometer never slows.
BUTTTT the growth of my hair does. Especially after I had it done after my McDonald's meal and I STILL had to go back to the salon the following week for them to fix it becuase another situation was created by the hands of the one I trusted. Fortunately, the orange tinting only tainted the back of my hair and so I smiled radiantly on New York Live the next morning more confident in my poses than in my capability to dye hair.

 But even after my "fix" the hair still doesn't look great. And cost the amount of 200+ McChickens. And is requiring some intense TLC and hair masks. And is still beckoning me to dye it brown and just give up on my dream of being blonde.
I may end up listening to it.


1 comment:

  1. The post is handsomely written. I have bookmarked you for keeping abreast with your new posts.
    Burun Estetiği
    Burun Estetiği

    ReplyDelete